All Temperatures in Degrees Centigrade











Days of


What’s the Weather like in Tenerife in January

Getting ready for a winter getaway? I know how challenging it can be to choose the ideal spot, especially when unpredictable weather can potentially put a damper on your vacation fun.

This idea kept gnawing at me while I was planning my trip to Tenerife this past January. So, like any curious traveler, I decided to dig deeper and do some detailed research into Tenerife’s winter weather patterns.

In this blog post, you’ll find all the juicy details I discovered about what kind of weather you can expect if you visit Tenerife in January – we’re talking average temperatures, hours of sunshine per day, chances of rainfall and more! Ready to be an informed packer? Keep reading for the inside scoop!

Average Weather in Tenerife in January


In January, Tenerife experiences average daily temperatures of around 17-20°C (63-68°F), making it still relatively warm.


Tenerife January Temperatures Celsius

When it comes to temperatures in Tenerife in January, you’re looking at an average daily maximum of a welcoming 23°C (73°F). Even during the nights, the average daily minimum temperature only dips to a comfortable 15°C (59°F). This table below summarizes the most important temperature data for you:


TemperatureAverage Daily MaximumAverage Daily Minimum
In Celsius23°C15°C
In Fahrenheit73°F59°F



Celebrated for its temperate climate, Tenerife is a great destination for those seeking the warmth of the sun even in mid-winter.

Sunshine and rainfall

Tenerife enjoys a remarkably sunny climate, even in January. You’ll find that this island has a 68% chance of a perfect sunny day, while there’s a 32% chance of seeing some clouds. The average rainfall in Tenerife in January is extraordinarily low, with just 12mm recorded on average. That’s almost non-existent!

Here’s a quick breakdown for you:


Weather ComponentValueDescription
Sunshine Probability68%You’re more likely to enjoy a perfect sunny day in Tenerife.
Cloud Cover Probability32%There’s a small chance of encountering a slightly cloudy day.
Average Rainfall12mmJanuary is a dry month with almost no rainfall.


This tells you that an experience in Tenerife in January will largely be characterized by bright, sunny skies and minimal rainfall. Make sure your vacation gear includes sunglasses and sunblock! With such a pleasant weather forecast, January could be a perfect time to visit Tenerife.

Sea temperature

The sea water is quite warm in Tenerife in January. It stays around 20.2°C to 21°C on average. This warmth means you can still enjoy a swim or even sunbathe! So, yes, Tenerife is still hot in January and lets you have fun at the beach.

Calima phenomenon

During your visit to Tenerife in January, you may experience something called the Calima phenomenon. This happens when hot winds blow from the Sahara desert and bring sand with them.

As a result, temperatures can rise above normal levels, making it feel hotter than expected. The Calima wind is heavy and filled with dust and sand particles, which can reduce visibility due to thick dust clouds.

It’s important to be aware of this phenomenon and take necessary precautions such as staying hydrated and protecting yourself from the sun during this time.

What to pack

When you’re visiting Tenerife in January, it’s important to pack the right things for your trip. Here’s what you’ll need:


  • Light clothing: Although it might not be as hot as in other months, Tenerife still has mild temperatures during January. Pack light and breathable clothes like t-shirts, shorts, and dresses.
  • Sweater or jacket: Even though it’s not too cold, nights can get cooler in Tenerife in January. Bring a sweater or jacket to stay warm during the evenings.
  • Comfortable shoes: Tenerife has a lot of beautiful places to explore, so make sure to bring comfortable shoes for walking and hiking.
  • Sunscreen: While there may be some clouds in January, there is still a good chance of sunny days. Don’t forget to protect your skin with sunscreen.
  • Swimwear: If you’re someone who loves swimming or sunbathing all year round, don’t hesitate to bring your swimwear. The sea temperature is still pleasant enough for a dip!


Frequently Asked Questions about Tenerife Weather in January.

  • Is it still hot in Tenerife in January? Yes, the average daytime temperature is around 20°C (68°F).
  • Can I sunbathe in January? Absolutely! Tenerife enjoys an average of 6 hours of sunshine per day in January.
  • What should I pack for my trip to Tenerife in January? Light clothing, sunscreen, and a swimsuit would be great.



1. What’s the weather like on Tenerife in January?

In January, Tenerife has a mix of sunshine and rainfall.

2. Is Tenerife hot in January?

Yes, even in January, Tenerife is still warm enough for outdoor fun.

3. Can I sunbathe on Tenerife beach during January?

You can still sunbathe in Tenerife during January because it stays warm.

4. Does it rain a lot on the island of Tenerife in January?

January sees some rainfall on Tenerifel but there are plenty of sunny days too.