Cliffs of Los Gigantes: A Majestic Natural Wonder in Tenerife
The Cliffs of Los Gigantes, or “Acantilados de Los Gigantes” in Spanish, are one of the most spectacular and iconic natural landmarks on the island of Tenerife, part of Spain’s Canary Islands. Situated on the western coast of the island, these imposing cliffs rise vertically from the ocean, reaching heights of up to 800 meters (2,625 feet).
Overview and Geology: The Cliffs of Los Gigantes are primarily composed of volcanic rock, a testament to the island’s volcanic origins. Their formation dates back to ancient volcanic activities that shaped much of Tenerife’s unique landscape. Over time, erosion by the Atlantic Ocean has sculpted these cliffs, giving them their dramatic and rugged appearance.
Tourism and Activities: Los Gigantes has become a must-visit destination for tourists exploring Tenerife. The town adjacent to the cliffs, also named Los Gigantes, serves as a gateway for visitors. Here, one can find a range of amenities, including hotels, restaurants, and shops catering to tourists.
For those looking to experience the cliffs up close, boat tours are a popular option. These tours often provide opportunities to spot dolphins and whales, as the waters around the cliffs are rich in marine life. Additionally, the Masca Gorge, located nearby, offers adventurous hiking trails with breathtaking views, making it a favorite for trekking enthusiasts.
Conservation: Given their ecological and geological significance, there have been efforts to preserve the cliffs and their surrounding environment. The waters at the base of the cliffs are part of the Teno-Rasca marine strip, a protected area known for its biodiversity.
Boat trips to Los Gigantes
- Whale and Dolphin Watching Tours:
- Sailing and Yacht Tours:
- For a more luxurious experience, there are private yacht charters and sailing trips available. These often include amenities like sunbathing decks, snacks, and drinks.
- Companies: Blue Jack Sail, Sail Tenerife
- Fishing Trips:
- The Atlantic waters around Tenerife are rich in marine life, making it a great spot for deep-sea fishing. Some companies offer fishing trips where you can try your luck at catching species like blue marlin, tuna, and more.
- Companies: GooDiving
- Scuba Diving and Snorkeling:
- The clear waters and diverse marine life make Los Gigantes a good spot for diving and snorkeling. Some boat trips offer diving sessions for both beginners and experienced divers.
- Companies: Dive Los Gigantes
- Masca Bay Tours:
- Masca Bay, with its secluded beach and clear waters, is a popular destination. Some boat trips take visitors to this bay, allowing them to swim, snorkel, or simply relax on the beach.
- Companies: Masca Express
- Sunset Cruises:
- Experience the beauty of a Canarian sunset from the water. These trips often include drinks and sometimes live music, making for a romantic evening.
- Companies: Various operators offer sunset cruises; it’s best to check locally for the most current offerings.
- Go Earlier in the day to guarantee a parking spot ,even then you might have to trawl for a space
- Some boats don’t have toilets so bear that in mind!
- It can get chilly on the open water so if its colder day remember it will be even colder on the boat.
- Take your time to look in the waters of the port, there are some huge fish under the boats.