A little about El medano
El Médano is known for its long and wide sandy beach, which stretches for almost 3 kilometers and is popular among windsurfers and kitesurfers due to the strong and constant winds in the area. The beach is also great for swimming, sunbathing, and other water sports.
The town itself is small and charming, with a variety of restaurants, cafes, and bars that cater to both tourists and locals. There are also a few shops and markets selling souvenirs, clothes, and local products.
El Médano Beach is famous for its strong and consistent winds, which make it a paradise for wind sports enthusiasts. The beach is particularly renowned for windsurfing and kitesurfing, but there are other wind sports that are also popular in the area, such as stand-up paddleboarding and surfing.
Windsurfing is the most popular wind sport nearby and it is considered one of the best spots for windsurfing in the world. The strong and constant winds in the area, which range from 15 to 25 knots, make it ideal for both beginners and experienced windsurfers. There are several windsurfing schools in the area where visitors can take lessons or rent equipment.
Kitesurfing is another popular wind sport on El Médano Beach. The beach offers ideal conditions for kitesurfing, with consistent winds and flat water. There are several kitesurfing schools in the area where visitors can take lessons or rent equipment.
Surfing is also possible on the beach, although it is not as popular as windsurfing or kitesurfing. The beach is exposed to the Atlantic Ocean, which means that there can be some powerful waves, especially during the winter months.
Place to eat in El medano
- La Sombrita: This cozy restaurant is located in the heart of El Médano and offers a range of Spanish and international dishes, including seafood, meat, and vegetarian options. The atmosphere is relaxed and friendly, and the prices are reasonable.
- Flashpoint: This restaurant specializes in burgers, sandwiches, and salads, and offers a relaxed and friendly atmosphere. The portions are generous, and the prices are reasonable.
- La Focaccia: This Italian restaurant offers a range of traditional Italian dishes, including pizza, pasta, and seafood. The atmosphere is cozy and welcoming, and the prices are reasonable.
- Tasca Tierras del Sur: This restaurant offers a range of Canarian dishes, including seafood, meat, and vegetarian options. The atmosphere is relaxed and friendly, and the prices are reasonable.
- Kiosko Playa Chica: This beachfront kiosk offers a range of snacks, sandwiches, and drinks, and is perfect for a quick bite or a refreshing drink after a day at the beach.
- El Ancla: This seafood restaurant is located right on the beach and offers a range of fresh seafood dishes, including paella, grilled fish, and seafood platters. The prices are a bit higher than other restaurants in the area, but the quality of the food and the stunning views make it worth it.